Saturday, February 16, 2013

New goal to Kick Start?

Over the past few months I have been forced into taking a break from my crafts. First I was kept away from my craft table by a severe knee injury that I sustained during a Cracker Box Pro boat race resulting in six weeks unable to walk, and another month on crutches. Before I could walk again, my online classes for the start of my business degree began, and that added to the struggle. I am now able to walk again, and I have gotten into a comfortable daily rhythm with school work, but my lease is up at my apartment and my boyfriend and I are looking to move into a house in the next few weeks so all my supplies are packed up. I am one cranky crafter to be sure.

One good thing has come out of all of this though. I have had a lot of time to think. I have been dreaming up new designs and sketching out ideas for a new jewelry line. I have been researching carving and casting my own original molds and I think it is something that could add tremendous depth to my current set of skills. I have been learning about making clothing and housewares from a variety of up cycled and recycled items. AND! I have been taking courses in running a small business and I am beginning to form an idea...

I have this little crafting hobby of mine which makes me happy, keeps my hands busy and consumes an unhealthy portion of my thoughts. I am just starting out in my small business degree. What if I take this hobby and turn it into a tiny little small business that can grow with me as I work on my degree? What if, the more I learn about making a business work, the bigger I make my craft store and the more I expand my brand? What if this could be more than just a hobby? What if all my crafting passion could become my means for paying for my education? Wouldn't that be some thing?

I like this idea. I like the idea of my crafting paying for my education. I like the idea of applying my education as I earn it each and every day. I think these things could synergize well in a way that benefits both my academic and professional goals. I have already talked to my boy friend and he is fully supportive and ready to help me set up a craft studio in our new home. The only thing holding me back is tools and supplies and I think Kickstarter could be a good place to start. If you don't know what Kickstarter is, check this out: Kickstarter info for your face! It is an amazing website that provides a frame work for creative people to get funding for their projects. 

I'm going to keep doing my research and start building a presentation. I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment